Monday 28 February 2011

Leafs Playoff Bound?

It can't be true. The Leafs in the playoffs. Usually the first sign spring is upon us is when the Leafs are out. Yes that might possibly be the worst joke ever and you may need to re-read it a couple times because it is that bad. But, the question once again is being uttered among Leaf Nation hopefuls and non-fans alike.
When I think about the last few seasons in recent memory I find myself following the Leafs throughout their mediocre season and then watching intently as they make a playoff run near the end of the season. But alas,  I always awaken from the dream to find the Leafs a mere few points out of a playoff spot.
Here I am once again in 2011. The NHL season getting closer and closer to the end. Just like always we see some resemblance of a playoff bound hockey club. Putting wins on the board, Kessel finally showing some form. Newly acquired Joffrey Lupul pitching in scoring his first two goals as a Leaf Saturday night in an impressive overtime loss only to be followed by an equally exciting loss in Atlanta in OT the next day. I see Clarke Macarthur rise from virtual obscurity to have a cinderella season paired with rising stars Mikhail Grabovski and Nikolai Kulemin. James Reimer is showing classic form, as well as determination and unwavering intensity. This to me looks like the beginning of a pretty decent hockey team. I haven't even discussed the fantastic blue line cast. So why is my gut telling me not to book the time off work so I can get down to T.O. just in time for Game 1 Round 1 of the Playoffs? Why don't I feel the urgency to select all my favourite Leaf snipers for the Playoff Pool? I think it may have something to do with this other feeling I have as well. The deja-vu that lurks in the fog like a tick nestled into my dogs fur. It seems like this has happened before.
Will the Leafs finally rise to the occasion and provide its devoted fans with a view into the post regular season world of the NHL? I guess only time will tell.

No comments: