Saturday 7 February 2015

Fire Stroumboulopoulos

This year Canadian hockey fans have been thoroughly annoyed and tortured by the on-air antics of the new Hockey Night in Canada host George Stroumboulopoulos. Stroumbo who is a Canadian tv personality took over the show when it was purchased along with the rights to air all NHL games in Canada by Rogers Entertainment.

The decision to demote Ron MacLean has in my mind been an utter detriment to the hockey viewers experience. The move by Rogers to take over HNIC, the CBC's most popular show has been anything but impressive. A new post modern set and the addition of Sportsnet cast and commentators has destroyed what was once a Saturday night enjoyment for myself. Why Rogers would ruin what was my favourite show is beyond me.
By bringing in no -talent ass clowns like George Stroumboulopoulos and Dave Randorf some hockey games are completely unwatchable, save for watching them with the mute button on. Tonight for example Stroumbo displayed his typical immatureness and disdain for the classic HNIC by wearing bright red socks and giving Elliote Friedman a fist pump at the end of his segment to which Friedman appeared shocked stating something to the effect of, I now feel hip. Stroumbo responded; "Dude you own it with that suit." I don't what hockey so that I can listen to this stupid tom-foolery. I watch it because I enjoy the game. I watch it because I want to be informed between periods by intelligent commentators. I do not watch it to listen to Dave Randorf struggle through a play by play analysis and George Stroumboulopoulos trying to stay relevant by acting like a someone going to high school. Please Rogers, please do the world a favor and send these two clowns back to whatever backwater they came from.  Please bring back the old HNIC crew and send the Sportsnet wannabes back to Sportsnet where all the other untalented sports casters are employed.


This is a quote I found on the City News website when it officially aired the story that Stroumbo would be taking over as host of HNIC. I agree with it wholeheartedly.


"How is George cool? A 41 year old dressing like he is 20? Greased up hair, earrings, questionable facial hair. How does this man-boy deserve one of the most respected chairs in Canada? Hockey is already insanely popular and yet Rogers deems it necessary to entice more young people? Is Rogers that naive? ... No one cares about George and hockey was better without him. Guess I’ll be watching other stations that aren’t HNIC. This wasn’t broken Rogers and therefore needed no fixing. Great job."



No comments: