Monday 25 July 2011

New Winnipeg Jets Logo Unveiled

The new Winnipeg Jets emblem was revealed on Friday amid a hail of controversy.  The new look was set to be released on Monday but a leak onto the Internet forced True North Sports and Entertainment to open its doors a few days early.

The logo is based on a simple design incorporating the city's long standing tradition with the Canadian Air Force. It consists of a white circle with two rings around it and in the center a CF-18 on top of a red maple leaf. The top of the circle has a notch which represents a compass pointing to "True North."
I personally like the idea behind it but find that is looks too military. When I first saw the new emblem on the front page of the Winnipeg Free Press I had assumed it was an article regarding the Canadian Armed Forces pulling out of Afghanistan. It was only after I got to the sports section that I realized what the cover story was actually about.

The second emblem I found to be much mpore entertainment worthy. A picture of two hockey sticks across a set of wings. Reminds me of the Houston Aeros logo of the American Hockey League.

Either way I am satisfied with the new logo and have already purchased my first t-shirt. Hey, if its good enough for Don Cherry, then its good enough for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.